Course Reflection
In this course named ‘Introductory Computer Tools for Nurses’ I was introduced to a hidden major field in nursing called Nursing Informatics. I was given the opportunity to explore with an attempt of understanding and learning the roles and functions of informatics in nursing. In doing so I fell in love with this profession. I was able to modify and achieve new skills in the use of productivity software, identify issues in protection privacy, confidentiality, and security of information as related to health and also identify the many social networking sites that can and is used by some to share information on health. I was then able to apply these skills and new found knowledge to my practice of nursing and also educate my peers on the same.
During this journey I had a web of different feelings, at the beginning of the course I was elated and ready to go but on being faced with the tremendous work load which enable us to learn at a workable speed I felt really overwhelmed. After the completion of each assignment I felt empowered but on receiving some results I felt depressed thinking I had no hope of crossing these many hurdles, but now that we’re at the end I feel relieved and hopeful.
The topics I enjoyed the most was the topic on Electronic Health Records in which we had a power point assignment to complete, I enjoyed that topic the most because I was able to identify with the areas of my workplace where this would be needed the most as well as relate to the many benefits such as shorter time in documenting tasks, shorter hospital stay for patients which all leads to improve patient care. I also enjoyed the topic on Telecommunications in which I was able to discover the possibility that patients can stay at their home town in remote places even in the privacy of their homes and receive medical care, now, that’s a breakthrough in healthcare. However, the social networking topic seemed unfavourable for me as in my personal life I try to refrain from the many distractions that’s associated with social networking sites.
I honestly did not see a need for any major improvements however there was a sense of detachment from an actual classroom in terms of feedback. The hardest moments during this course was in completing assignments at a timely fashion especially the six page Turnitin assignments and the technological misunderstandings with this same assignment. One other challenging moment was the time frame given to complete the final exam, the time frame for exam should match the actual time frame given for the weekly quiz and amount of questions to prepare us for the speed at which we should perform for the final exam. The easiest and happiest moments was being able to meet the deadline for assignments, achieving good grades for such and being able to apply these skills in the clinical setting.
This course helped me to achieve the tools and techniques mentioned on each study unit.
In the future I intend to use the skills learnt during this course to further enhance my professional development and I will ensure that my peers are informed of these new technology advances and that the patients would benefit from my development together with my team.
References
1) University of Cambria. Gibbs’ (1988) reflective cycle. Retrieved March, 30, 2015 from http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/public/liss/documents/skillsatcumbria/reflectivecyclegibbs.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment